My name is Nonie. I love ponies, peonies, and pepperoni.

.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

On This Day

image from here.


Nine years ago today, I was in seventh grade. It was a Tuesday.
I can remember that day like it was yesterday. It is so vivid in my memory. I remember the details, the dialogue, the feelings.
When I think about it now, I tear up. I become emotional.

I rode to school early each morning with my dad. We would usually leave our house around 6:45 in order to get to Oak Canyon by 7:00.

September 11, 2001 started out like any other day. We had scripture power and ate breakfast. We said family prayer. Dad went out to warm up the van, Mom started getting ready for work, and I finished getting ready for school while the sibs went back to bed. Just like usual.

Two minutes later, my dad came running in the house. "Turn on the TV." he yelled, in a panic. I ran into the Master Bedroom, not knowing what to expect, and followed his command. My mom was getting ready in her bathroom and came out  to see what all the commotion was about. 

We stood there silently in horror, as every channel had the same breaking news. The World Trade Center had been hit with an airplane. No one was quite sure what to report about the accident. There were little details.

As Dad and I climbed into the van and started up the road, we listened to the radio. I asked him what the World Trade Center was. He briefly explained what went on there, and became quiet again. During the drive, we learned about the second tower being hit. We couldn't believe our ears. "We have confirmed reports that a second plane has hit the second tower..." played over and over in my mind.

As we arrived at the school, we ran through the woodshop and into my dad's classroom. I turned on the lights and the TV. We sat underneath it on the tables, as images of New York City took the screen.

My dad had a student teacher that semester, a nice young lady from BYU. She entered the door, and joined us to watch the news. As she stood there in astonishment, she said in a calm voice, "This is Terrorism. TOTAL TERRORISM."

'Terrorism? What is that?' I thought to myself. I don't think I had ever heard that term in my life, but at that point I knew that it must have some importance.

I continued throughout my day, going to all seven classes. We watched the news in Science and Orchestra and Spanish and Math. They left the TVs on during lunch. Lectures, discussions, and assignments stopped as we watched the unreal events continue to unfold.We heard about the Pentagon being hit and another plane crashing down in Pennsylvania. We wondered if more planes would keep going down across the country. I watched the twin towers collapse live.

Teachers showed fear and disbelief in their faces as they tried to explain what was happening. Students cried in the halls. As a 12-year-old, I was horrified.

After school, I sat with my family on my parent's bed and watched the news. We were glued to the TV. We were hungry for more information about who did this, how many were killed, and what we could do to help. We stared at the screen as they replayed footage of the 2nd plane crashing into the 2nd tower. We saw New York fill up with smoke, a large field ablaze in Pennsylvania, and the Pentagon missing 1/5 of it's structure.

We watched firefighters, policemen, medical workers, and civilians risk their lives in the hopes of saving others. We became inspired by the photographs and stories of these modern-day heroes.


In the days, months, and year after 9/11, people across the nation decorated their homes and businesses with flags.  Songwriters and singers wrote songs about freedom. General Conference talks centered around prayer, helping others, and forgiveness. Red, white, and blue Christmas lights were a hit. As the dust settled in New York, Patriotism was settling back into the hearts of the people, and we were beginning to heal.


September 11, 2001 is a day I will never forget.
America was attacked that day. Physically, mentally, emotionally.
Americans became stronger that day. Mentally, emotionally, Spiritually. We learned how to rely on the Lord and on eachother. We became friends, benefactors, and supporters. We were all together. 

Sometimes it takes a tragedy to remind people what is most important, right, and true.

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children... Our enemies have made the mistake that America’s enemies always make. They saw liberty and thought they saw weakness. And now, they see defeat."
- President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001







2 comments:

  1. Nonie Nonie...why didn't you tell me you started a blog? It's great. I love reading your posts!

    I was working at Les Olsen Company when 9/11 happened. Scary, Sad day. Crazy how time passes, so quickly it seems, at yet my feeling about that day are still strong and vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally thought I told you that I gave in and started one. I had been thinking about it forever and then just decided to go for it. Sorry I didn't let you know. :)

    Thanks for reading my posts. They are mostly "journal entries" so I can remember things. Hopefully my writing style isn't too crazy for people to understand! Haha.

    ReplyDelete