Last night at a small gathering of sorts, I talked to a friend who teaches fifth-grade. He asked me what was happening in kindergarten, if there was anything new or fun or exciting going on lately. I really had to think about it. It was the weirdest thing--that even though I write quotes down daily and I tell Nina stories after school--I couldn't remember anything funny or exciting that has occured lately.
It wasn't until I got home and pulled out my quote papers when I remembered that a lot really has happened.
drumroll please:
A few weeks ago we celebrated the birthday of Dr. Seuss. One day we had an assembly wherein the Cat in the Hat came to read us his book and fourth graders acted it out--a sort of reader's theatre. Towards the end of the assembly, a girl leaned over to me and whispered into my ear in a matter-of-fact voice that "That isn't the real Cat in the Hat. It's only just a guy with paint on."
One day during Centers, we were working on a little leprechaun art project. The kids were coloring and cutting pieces out, so I allowed them to talk. I love when they talk amongst themselves with no direction, no shushing, no fighting. Like little adults just having a conversation. The best quotes usually come during times like this. I could sit there all day and just be entertained. And I was.
humble and I know it
"I've been coloring all my life, so I'm pretty good. My parents say I'm quite the artist."
"I know what bondjore means. Hello in France."
One boy handed in his March reading calendar three weeks early, with all of the days already marked off. After being questioned about it, he replied confidently,"I'm going to read every day, so I can just turn it in now."
discovery channel
boy: "It's crazy how boys also have eyelashes."
girl: "Yeah and boys have longer ones usually."
boy 1: "Why is it brown?"
boy 2 (coloring his leprechaun): "Cuz some people have brown faces. It's cuz they layed out in the sun and it was really hot so they turn brown."
"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a dad and have a mustache and hair under my lips too."
"When you have your eyes closed, that doesn't mean you're dead...just passed out."
"What color is my skin? ..[long pause, studying her forearm]... Oh yeah! It's light peach."
"My grandma is dying. But she's still alive!"
random man
"I just feel like eating rotten eggs right now."
Too good. I am easily entertained, and spending every day in kindergarten is more enterainment than anyone could ask for. So there you go Mr. W...those are the few new, funny, exciting things that have happened in my class lately. Next time we talk I'll come prepared to share.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment