About two weeks ago, the screen on my phone went haywire. Half of it would freeze, turn crazy colors, or create random patterns, like a TV back in the day of bunny-ear antennas.
A day later, it went completely black.
I tried putting the battery in and out, blowing on it, charging it, everything.
Nothing worked.
Then, a couple days after that, my laptop charger broke. It's as if a rat lives in my house and chewed it in half. The cord, with all of its wires, is literally severed in two.
Don't know exactly how that happened.
So for about a week, I felt like a pioneer lady. No phone, no internet, no facebook, no email. I walked around with no way to communicate with the world besides my mouth and handwritten notes. (Although I did go up to the library on campus to use a computer twice, feeling like a cool freshman again).
It was a bit time-consuming,
inconvienient,
humbling,
and slightly refreshing.
It made me wonder how people did it back in the day...Traveling by horse and buggy to talk to their neighbors, sending a handwritten love letter via Pony Express. Learning Morse Code to send a telegram, keeping USPS in business with snail-mail.
Communication has come a long way. For better and for worse.
In this world of instant messaging and email attachments and digital everything, we are truly blessed. You don't know how much something means until it is gone, and we definitely have a lot. a lot.
I love talking to my mom anytime via email.
I love phoning home (ha) on Sunday nights to get the scoop on everybody.
I love asking questions and getting answers back almost instantly with texts.
I love keeping in touch with family and friends all over the world with facebook.
and I temporarily missed that.
Although I do love snail-mail and horses, it's nice to have a new phone, a new laptop charging cord, and my sense of security back. I am no longer a pioneer. For better or worse.
Post-edit: My sunglasses broke while being transported in my purse, and I lost my scriptures at church last Sunday. I recovered both, but needless to say, it's been quite the month. I can't complain though, my life is gooooooooood. Real good. :)




No comments:
Post a Comment